Sunday, September 4, 2011

359


Well, I am almost a week in on the challenge, and I have only one more update on my progress: My bike's reset odometer reads 103.83. I went on the Wednesday Bike Ramble with Dave M. et al and then the Quaddies on Saturday. My big accomplishment was averaging 19 mph over 50 miles--and NOT getting gapped by their fast riders:) I am thinking about joining their team to get the discount on kits and bike gear... plus the added incentive of riding with people I know. Below you will find a picture of my steed:

This is a 93 Cannondale 2.3 road bike. Full aluminum handed down from Dave M. via Adam R.

Upgrades: I upgraded the cranks/BB to Dura Ace from the Shimano 800 (the old name for Ultegra), shortened and raised the stem for fit (old 'dales had very long top tubes and this is a 62cm model). I also got rid of the old Shimano 105 brake levers/hoods because the narrow grips hurt my hand in favor of a style more like the Campy grips--however my shifters are on the down tube.

Pros: The ride quality is very ridged, being full aluminum with beefy downtube and chainstays. It is excellent for acceleration and getting out of the saddle to transfer power on hills. The weight is also ridiculously light. I haven't found a bike scale yet, but this baby (at 62cm!) is still lighter than a 56 aluminum/carbon bike in a mid tier range. Not too shabby:)

Cons: Aluminum bikes are very very rigid... which translates into every bump is sent straight from the tires and into my sit bones and hands. Not comfortable for long rides AT ALL. I needed to double wrap the bars just so my hands didn't go numb on me after 30 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment